Thursday, May 7, 2009

What ‘made’ this semester (a limited overview)



Absolutely at the top of my list for inspiration for this semester is the work of Jakob Trollback. Simply amazing. An entire world of motion was unveiled to me through his work and has obsessed the vast majority of my extracurricular study this semester. Motion has interested me since last semester (fall 2008), but Jakob Trollback is operating on a completely different level. The intricacy that goes into every element of his work, both in how they are generated and also how they interact and are put together, have warranted hours and hours of careful examination this semester.

(also a big inspiration from videocopilot.com—moreso on the mechanics of the program)



JJ Abrams talk on TED about the creative process behind LOST and his mystery box. Aside from my obsession with his creation, LOST, his notion of the mystery box really has effected my philosophy on design. Not knowing all the answers, essentially by leaving the mystery box closed, the imagination of what might be inside takes you so much further than what may actually exist. This is huge in design as we have the ability to reveal and hide items within our designs to take those viewing said designs to a completely different level than a simple explanation ever could.



Lastly, the Hallmark tour was a great picture of a large creative community at work, which I had never seen before. It was a truly exciting day for me: to see design in action on a massive scale. Everyone in that company has a singular purpose. Sure they work on cards, gift wrap, even web interaction, but they all seek after and create a highly creative environment. The whole day was one inspiring experience after another, but the best part of the day was sitting down to lunch and getting some time to speak with designers within the company. It was great to discuss our feelings on designs going on throughout America, what my interests were in design (print or digital) and how creativity is structured within Hallmark.

I know I’m being transformed in my thinking (or maybe just spending to much time working on projects—or both) when I dream about design almost every night (when I remember my dreams that is).





No comments: