Monday, April 13, 2009

Videos - Paula Scher, David Carson, Milton Glaser

I have never really found a point listening to Paula Scher in the past that I REALLY felt like I connected with, until today. I really loved how she talked about her inspiration being intuitive. That in a moment she has an idea and that the idea may come in a second, but that it is 34 years of everything she has ever experienced coming out in the first attempt. Its great to hear someone say that the first gut reaction isn't always wrong, that at times it doesn't take a 1000 varriations to find the one that works. I loved her citi bank example and would probably ask her to explain how this intuitive reaction has produced other projects.

I think David Carson speaks to this as well. His lack of initial experience allowed him to do spreads that intuitively felt right to him, not what rules were right typographically. I would ask him, for someone who is going through formal training and learning the rules, what should I do to learn to break free from these at times?

I love how Glaser talks about the passing of gifts that cannot be held, but must be passed on. What a beautiful way to look at the art of communication. That it has a pacifying and unifying element unlike any other area of expertise and that the messages that we do pass on should not be ones meant to do harm. We have an amazing ability to transmit effectively a thought from one point to another. He also talks about losing the ability to be astonished and that he has managed to retain astonishment, how should someone go about insuring that astonishment remains?

1 comment:

Andrea Herstowski said...

nicely done, give me some VISUALS! on your blog
andrea