Monday, February 16, 2009

Jakob Trollback

The lecture by Jakob Trollback was simply amazing.  It gave me hope and reason for the after effects class that I am taking.  That is has a purpose, and that ultimately it could lead me to a place that I would enjoy furthering my knowledge.  The CBS rebranding that he lectured on was inspiring to me, both in the ways that it incorporated the aspects of the broadcaster into innovative motion graphics, but also the smart ways in which design was used to take something that could not be changed or adapted (the CBS logo) and give it new energy and meaning by using it as a copywrite.  

I also really was inspired by his charge to leave things out of a design, to allow the viewer to fill the space with his or her own imagination, rather than handing it to them on a silver platter.  This intrigue brings a much higher meaning to the designs, which I saw illustrated well when he left squares out of the middle of some of the frames.  

The notion that design is not fine art, I don't think I have ever heard spoken so bluntly.  I find myself bogged down in this sometimes where I am attempting to create something that is more aesthetically pleasing and I lose sight of my goal, a good design that conveys a message that matches either my client's or my own personal goal.



No comments: